Thursday, June 13, 2013

Enjoying the Moment

They say to enjoy every moment with your child. I guess for me that is a given. You only have a few short years before they no longer want to be around you and when you only have one, it is so much easier to just be in the moment. All of the attention is directed and focus on one human being.

As it goes, last night I was tired. Not unusual. And as I decided to lay down and contemplate the world at large, I realized my bed was moving.  Just a little. I looked over and saw the big ball of sheets and blankets move a little more. Then I heard it. That very distinct sound that every parent zones in on. One of the sounds you always feel joy when you hear it.

The giggle.

My sneeky snook had snuck out of his bedroom, and while I was in the bathroom, had proceeded to climb in my bed, with three buddies in tow no less, and hidden himself in the blankets. Upon realizing mommy had laid down, the wiggles and the giggles commenced.

So there I was. A parent with a child out of their bed and awake................way past bedtime. So what did I do? I mean, there are all sorts of options, most leaning toward the......put him back to bed routine. But I chose to play the game. "What is that hiding in my bed?"  giggle...giggle...."I wonder what that is?"  giggle.....giggle.  "Is that a Logan hiding in my blanket?"......giggle....then....

"No! It's batman!"

Then my very awake mini-me decides he wants to tell me a story. I was laying down anyway, go for it. He always has very entertaining stories and I love to hear what he says. Tonight was no different. So he proceeds to tell me this never-ending story......mixed with lots of batman references, and the signature linking line....(he got from his mother)....and then what happened.......

It was great. He tells me the continuing story, then when done, very sweetly says, "now mommy would you like to share a story?"

I'll be honest, I didn't.  Not because I'm not trying to be fun, but because, I felt fresh out of material.  All of my neurons are rapid firing trying to figure out some interesting made up story on the fly.  And to be honest, next to his story, all of my ideas totally sucked and I had no where to take them. Meanwhile I was pretty impressed the 3 yr old definitely out storied me.  And then he does one further.  He pretty much told me an evolving story over 40 mins straight.

Now we were way past bed time. But at that moment, I didn't care.  Cause it was such an awesome moment. To ask him questions about his story, and see his little brain stop, analyze and decide what he was going to say and just be so creative, just left me massively impressed.  Yeah ok kids tell stories and such. It wasn't that, it was that MY dude was doing this to ME and he also did it 10x better than I could. It did remind me of how far I have come since my own childhood. But to be part of something so small, but so satisfying is a wonderful feeling.

I decided he could sleep in mommy's bed if he wanted. It is a king so there is space.  But he is a terrible bed buddy.  He flops like a fish out of water.  And he always manages to steal my pillow in the middle of the night. I knew that would be what happened,  But I didn't  care. My little dude who i find completely adorable, was having a Logan and Mommy moment, and we were both enjoying it. We laid there and talked until I finally told him we had to fall asleep.

He then says, I love you mommy sweet apple. (ok I'll admit I've been brainwashing him that mommy is a sweet apple).

I love my son. And every day he just gets more amazing as a little person. I'm very excited to watch him learn and grow and nurture him along the way.

No comments: