Friday, November 13, 2009

Rookie Mommy Part II

Today was the first day I tried to cut Logan’s finger nails. You see where this is going don’t you?

So I was humming along and thinking it was all going quite well. And I was really excited because I had been doing the filing thing up to this point and it was kind of pissing me off. First of all - it only sort of worked. I would kind of get some nail filed and then I would have to wait for it to rip part way off on its own in order for me to then rip it off the full way. And Logan hated the file on his fingers.

Anywho.....I picked him up off the changing table, went to the couch, sat down and started to give him his bottle when I looked down and saw all this red stuff on my white shirt. What is that? And then I realize he has it all over his pj and some on his bib. And then I realize.................... I screwed up. I nicked his finger and it is bleeding! AAAAAGGGHHHHHH!!!

So of course I do a mini mom freak out and pull the bottle out and rush him back to the changing pad to figure out which finger it was – it was his thumb. And it just would not stop bleeding. I was like – it’s not that freaking big of a nick – wtf??? SO I tried putting pressure on it with a wet baby wash cloth – no dice. I tried putting a band aid on it – what a cluster f*ck. Trying to put a band aid first of all on any thumb is a hard thing to do - never mind a baby thumb where he is still doing the thumb squeeze next to the index finger and some spastic hand movements (and kicking your stomach in the process). It's the equivalent of trying to drink something while on a roller coaster ride - just doesn't work.

Finally a couple band aids later I was able to get a smaller band aid on it and dropped some Neosporin in the top – to which it still continued to bleed for another 5 minutes and I eventually had to put a new band aid on as well. Ironically Logan seemed totally fine throughout all of this and was looking at me more like – what’s wrong mommy? I am trying to not freak out so I don’t freak him out but of course I am freaked out and frustrated at myself and frustrated that his finger wouldn’t stop bleeding. I mean - didn't they give him that Vitamin K shot at the hospital to help with blood clotting? That would be handy right about now to start kicking in. I know it was just a little nick on the finger and I am quite sure that just about every mommy has done the same thing at some point with their small one. So I was able to move on from this issue - more so because he was not screaming or crying at me and making me feel like the worst mommy ever.

No comments: