Thursday, July 26, 2007

Another Bumpy Day

Sometimes I think drama just follows me. So today at about 10AM, I was called to have an update with the rest of the company in our soft seating area. Only to be told that the deal they were so close to signing with this hedge fund.....got dropped. Basically the largest lender in the country came out two days ago and said their earnings was 50% below projected and that they did not foresee the the mortgage market recovering until 2010. As is the company who was going to purchase technology from my company panicked as they too had just lost some money in the market and another large player just lost $400 mill on a different deal. So they called up the big man and told him it was off. Then we were all told today. here is the irony.....I still have a job.

I am one of about 4 people that do. And I guess my boss wants to make a go of it. After some discussions with some loved ones I think I have decided to hang out and see where this path takes me and for how long. I feel that it may be my best option financially and for all of you that know the meaning of that......well we can put up with a little more crap for awhile to make sure the mortgage gets paid. Ironically I actually feel better now that the CEO is going to take over and reallly run this product himself. I feel like it gives me more time to get our soccer biz moving and it gives me the potential in about 3 years or so to really cash out on what was offered and told me when I came to Seattle 2 and a half years ago. At this point I feel (and Tony) that I should bury the hatchet of the last 2 years and start forward with a positive face and plug away. The boss spoke with me privately after all this and while I have to take a small salary cut - it isn't anything like what I would have to take if I found another job. I also in some ways feel like if this doesn't work out in 12 months or so, that I could probably get my multi (and I mean mega multi) millionaire boss to give me a small cash loan to float for a few extra months if need be.

In the end, would I be any worse then vs now - I don't think so. With all the drama and chaos, it can send panic through one, but I feel that my path is before me and it is unfolding in due course. We shall see in the future if I was a genius or idiot. LOL But for now, I feel pretty good about where I may be headed. He said some really nice things in my one on one (like I had really matured over the past couple years - stop laughing some of you, and that I had maintained a positive attitude - stop laughing again) and made me feel important, valued and needed. We shall see if that reallly holds up, but for now, the eternal optimist I secretly am is holding out hope.

Good luck to all my co-workers!! After Tuesday, the 14,000 square foot office will be really really quiet. And that will be a little saddening. To add soem humor to it - I can pretty much guarantee the pop and juice will no longer be free. :)

No comments: