Friday, January 11, 2008

I've neglected the blog

I'm sorry. I actually have pictures from before Christmas that I want to share - but between my computer crashing and the holidays - I have just not gotten these things done. So until then, I want to harp on something else.

I think this is crap.....

Sports score blowout

I mean really, have we all gotten so soft in this country that we have forgotten that:

1. Sports are "meant" to be competitive - meaning somebody is going to win and someone is going to lose and you are supposed to give your best effort in the attempts of winning.

2. Not everything in life is fair and there is too much idealistic view that parity needs to happen at every turn when we deal with children (gee I can't imagine how that transcends to their adult life and implications stemming from that)

3. American sports are setup to always have a winner and a loser and have HIGH SCORING TYPES OF SPORTS COMPETITIONS. And people bitch about the low score of soccer .... "whatever"

Personally - I think it's good for teams from time to time to get their asses kicked. It's a good lesson in humility. it's a lesson that you aren't the best and if you want to be you have to work harder. It's a reminder of who is the best and what you need to aspire to. It's a reminder that sports is about winning. It's what fuels rivalries - which is a good fun positive aspect to sport.

Respect????? Honestly, there hasn't been a whole lot of people I respect when I have played against them. Heck there are people I have played with on my teams (and still do) that I don't respect. I tell my girls that I don't care if they respect even their teammates - as long as they get along. Respect is something that is earned. It isn't a birthright or automatic just because you are old or because you do something like play a game. Respect brings with it your character. And if everyone is going to be a big crybaby about getting humiliated in a game - that is poor sportsmanship IMO. That's when I cease to have respect. Hold your chin up high and do your best. Those are the people I have respect for.

Maybe I am too extreme you say. But you know what? I coach for the best club in the country - and we are hated. Hated because we are the best. Hated because we win. Hated because we basically have a FU attitude if you don't like how we approach the game. Hated because the ploayer contract states there is no guarantee of playing time. And at the end of the day it is OUR club that is sending kids to college on scholarships. It is OUR club that is sending kids to play on national teams for our country. It is OUR club that is teaching our kids how to play the game at the highest level and what will be required of them if they go to the next level. It is OUR club that is teaching kids how to deal with adversity in sports competitions. People hate the best - when THEY aren't the best.

Basketball wasn't designed to be a game where you can take the ball to the corner and play possession to run out the clock like you can with soccer. It's a game that encourages you to score within 30 seconds or less. Run down and score, run to the other end and score.

And the worst part of this that people seem to forget. It's the coach's ass that's on the line when the team FAILS and LOSES. It's the coach that gets FIRED when the team fails to perform or perform well. It's the coach that gets BLAMED for all the problems with a team. This guy even offered some solutions to help run out the clock - which the other coach turned down. The coach had every right to start whoever he wanted and play them for however long he wanted. He has season goals and he is coming up on state playoff implications.

And honestly - if you have ever been on the losing side like that and the team decides to not even play because the competition sucks so bad so they dilly dally and don't take it serious and are laughing half the time and all it does is become one big game of keep away at their 50% best. THAT is more humiliating than truly getting your ass handed to you matching your best against their best. THAT's when I actually have respect for the other team. Otherwise respect turns to hate in those scenarios and that is worse IMO.

No comments: