Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My Achilles Heel - Literally

Wow - in the last couple of months, I have had a serious of body ailments. I have this thing with my wrist - unidentified pain is the actual diagnosis after multiple needle injections into my wrist and an MRI and Xray later. And even after the cortisone shot - I still feel there is something wrong. And all I did was hold a clip board.

A week ago some chick didn't like me very much in indoor - so she tripped me after I skinned her with the ball and then as I was falling she proceeded to shoved her forearm into my back and so I went face and shoulder first into the boards and then landed on my left arm fully extended......therefore hyper extending my elbow. it still isn't quite right yet. I can't fully extend it and I can't use it to the full extent yet either. But it is getting better.

Then for the past 2-3 weeks I have been having pain in my left Achilles heel. It is the same one as I tore 3 years ago and it hurts in the same spot I tore it and well it really had me nervous that i was going to tear it again. So I called the doctor and miraculously - because I was getting married and not going to be here for awhile - I got the doctor to come in and see me yesterday on his surgery day. So it turns out I have tendinitis (surprise surprise) in my Achilles. I also have patella tendinitis on my right knee but that should heal up with me laying off activity.

Back to the Achilles. SO the doctor wants to do surgery. He basically wants to cut a slice off the back of my heel bone, and then make some small lateral incisions in the Achilles tendon to promote some blood vessel growth which will promote circulation and healing. He says my heel one is a bit far back and that is rubbing against my tendon causing added pressure. Not that I am surprised after looking at my heel and someone else's yesterday. Not to mention I always get blisters on the back of my heels when I get new shoes - usually soccer shoes. So while this may not sound yummy to most, Tony and I think it is a good idea. With my Achilles the way they are, the tendinitis will never go away in my opinion and I don't think Tony thinks it will either. We also would prefer to see me do this when I a younger than older and we DON'T want to go through me tearing it again. That was a most unpleasant experience.

He told me to change my shoes to an open back with a heel lift so I have already got myself a few new pair of shoes. :) He does want me to ease up on soccer though. :( Luckily it is an outpatient surgery and I would only be on crutches for about 3-4 days. The time to heel is two weeks and then about 4 weeks of PT before I can jump back into activity. SO it isn't that bad. So we are looking to do this pretty soon after we get back from the wedding - insurance and to just move forward and get this done with.

I don't necessarily like the idea of a doctor removing bone from a particularly important area of my body - but so be it. And he seems to think this is the way to go from looking at the xrays. SO there you have it. I feel like if anything, the time I have had at this job has allowed me to get all my medical things out of the way - and that is a positive thing.

No comments: